The Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT) is asking electric consumers to limit or reduce their use where possible during peak demand hours today (3:00pm – 7:00pm).
Electricity demand has reached three consecutive July records this week, and ERCOT is expecting a somewhat higher demand during today’s peak hours.
To help ensure the system is able to continue serving current power needs, customers are asked to follow the below steps to reduce energy demand during the specified 3pm – 7pm peak demand hours:
- Turn off all unnecessary lights, appliances and electronic equipment
- When at home, close your blinds and drapes that get direct sunlight, set air conditioning thermostats to 78 degrees or higher, and use fans to cool the air.
- When you’re away from home, set air conditioning thermostats to 85 degrees and turn off all fans before you leave. You can block sunlight by closing blinds or drapes on windows that will get direct sun.
- Do not run your dishwasher, laundry equipment, or other home appliances during peak hours between 3pm-7pm.
- Avoid opening refrigerators or freezers more than necessary.
- Use microwaves for cooking instead of an electric range or oven.
- Set your pool pump to run early morning or late evening, not during specified peak demand hours.
Customers can read the full ERCOT News Release here.