A candlelit scene with strings of holiday lights wrapping a beautiful live tree. It seems picture-perfect, but can also be a setting for disaster if you don’t follow proper safety precautions. Holiday decorations can increase your risk for a home fire, so be smart as you deck the halls this season.
A heat source too close to the Christmas tree is a common cause for a holiday fire, so be sure your tree is at least three feet away from any fireplaces, space heaters, heat vents, or candles. Keep all candles at least 12 inches away from anything that burns, and consider using battery-operated flameless candles that look and smell real.
Don’t overload outlets with extension cords for multiple lights or other electric displays. When you’re decorating the tree or stringing any lights, never connect more than three strands of mini-lights together. For screw-in holiday light sets, do not connect more than 50 together.
If you’re using a live tree, be sure it’s kept properly watered. A dry tree can burst into flames five times faster when exposed to a heat source. Water your Christmas tree everyday to lessen the risk of a fire.
Heirloom decorations might look good on your tree, but that old string of lights your parents once used or the glowing Santa from your childhood may have seen better days and could be an electrical fire risk. As a final precaution, check to be sure you have a working smoke alarm in the room near your decorations. These steps can safeguard the holidays for you and your family and help you sleep in heavenly peace.