Make sure your home can breathe

Making a home energy-efficient is a tricky thing. Sometimes well-intentioned people do such an effective job of sealing the cracks and crevices that they make their homes toxic. Gases and moisture can accumulate and infect your home and your family. To avoid this, proper ventilation is essential. Here are a few tips on how to make sure your home can breathe.

1. Never seal your windows shut. Keep windows and doors where they can be opened to allow stale air out and fresh air in.
2. Make sure kitchen and bathroom ventilators are in working order. Exhaust fans are important to have and to use. They remove smoke, pollutants and moisture.
3. Have wood stoves and fireplaces well-vented. Harmful pollutants, such as carbon monoxide, can threaten the health of your family if fireplaces are not properly vented.
4. Add attic fans to your roof. Attic fans that pull heat out of hot attics in the summer can save on your utilities.Set their thermostats for 100 degrees and they will be self regulating.
5. Ventilate indoor moisture. Never vent bathrooms or kitchens into the attic. This can cause mold and mildew that can turn your home into a science experiment. Always vent to the outdoors.
6. Add a dehumidifier. These can reduce indoor moisture, make your home more comfortable and protect from mold growth.
7. Put carbon monoxide detectors in all bedrooms. Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas that can be deadly. In addition to venting your home, add these detection devices throughout your house. They’re cheap, they work and they could save your life.