There are lots of ways to reduce your energy bills this summer. One of the simplest ways is to change how you use your dishwasher. Here are 10 dishwasher tips that can help lower your electric bill.
1. Use the energy saving cycle whenever possible.
2. Turn off the drying cycle if you don’t need the dishes right away.
3. Run the dishwasher in the early morning or after sundown to avoid heating up your house.
4. If your dishwasher has a booster heater, turn down your water heater thermostat.
5. Use the no-heat air-dry feature if your dishwasher has one.
6. Air-dry your dishes whenever possible.
7. Don’t pre-rinse your dishes like Mama taught you. Mama’s dishwasher wasn’t as good as yours. Scrape off food particles and place in the dishwasher.
8. Wash only full loads.
9. Load dishes according to the manufacturer’s instructions. There’s a reason that manual came with the dishwasher.
10. Train family members to reuse glasses throughout the day, rather than getting a clean glass every time they need a drink of water.
Using your appliances efficiently will keep your energy costs down year around. Check back for other energy-saving ideas.