Lower your energy costs this summer by cooling off that hot kitchen. Instead of serving heavy, warmed over meals that heat up your oven, add some new summer salads to your repertoire. Here’s a side dish the whole family will enjoy.
Potato Avocado Salad
This zesty summer salad makes the perfect side to your favorite cold sandwich wraps. It’s a clever re-interpretation of an old standby: potato salad.
Here’s your shopping list:
- 3 pounds Yukon gold potatoes
- 2 large avocados
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 16-ounce bottle of Italian dressing
- 1 can of corn
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 diced large tomatoes
- 12 sliced green onions
- 2 cups grated sharp Cheddar cheese
- 6 to 8 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
4 easy steps
1. Microwave potatoes and water in a covered 2 quart glass casserole dish for 8 to 12 minutes on high. Drain and cool slightly. Peel and cut into cubes.
2. Sprinkle potatoes evenly with 3/4 teaspoon salt. Pour 1 cup of Italian dressing over potatoes. Toss. Set aside remaining dressing. Cover potato mixture; chill at least 2 hours or overnight.
3. Arrange salad greens evenly on a large serving platter. Peel and chop avocados. Toss with lemon juice.
4. Arrange potatoes, avocados, tomatoes, corn and the rest. Sprinkle with black pepper. Drizzle on remaining Italian dressing.
Check back for more fun, energy-saving recipes.